Monday, January 23, 2012

Prompt 2: What do you want?

Last week's prompt focused on what we mean by professional writing, but this week we are going to talk about what you specifically want out of this class. All your assignments for this class will center around one specific project/topic. You have a few weeks before you need to settle on that topic and project, but this week we will begin thinking about possibilities.

I want you to begin with journaling about your chosen major and intended future career. Where do you see yourself in five years? ten years? Also reflect about what really matters to you. What are your hobbies and interests? Where do you want to live and why?

Right now I just want you to dream big here. We'll worry about sifting, sorting, trimming, and shaping later. Just throw out lots of ideas for now. We want to explore who you are, what makes you tick, and where you want to go.

In addition to that self-exploration, I want you to begin thinking about the types of writing that are available to you. Think first about this article: Writing is the greatest invention. I happen to believe that rhetoric is incredibly powerful and has the capacity to change the world. It can sway emotions and thoughts, but perhaps more importantly it can make things happen. Think about the actions of people, governments, and industries -- what is really possible without written communication and records? You can get some ideas of the different types of writing that different professions engage in by watching the videos on Write for your life. In particular watch the topics of "Introductions" and "Kinds of writing".

Think about topics and questions you would like to explore or learn more about that connect with your major, intended profession, and/or region. What needs do you see? What would you like to change or do when you graduate?

For example, right now I am infuriated by the changes taking place in Montgomery County Schools and at Mapleton Elementary School in particular. This is my mother-bear instinct kicking in big-time but what is happening also appalls me as an educator and as someone who works with teachers (and future teachers). I won't bore you with the details because I'll start ranting (you can read My Child will be Left Behind if you really want to know more). However, I am currently pondering the ways that I can make sure my child is intellectually challenged in some sort of Saturday or after-school program. So I could make my project about researching and proposing such a program.

Under course documents I have included a list from Dr. Royar about topics that people have used for past semesters. I had students do a similar project when I taught Eng 292 and those topics included investigating a particular new development for their employer, providing a clearinghouse for community support services, developing a medical news hotline, and studying the business development needs of a community as well as specific educational and social services programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment